Back to Mirrakoi.com

Workflow issues

(sochin) #1

First look at the surfaces has me very interested. I work in t-splines all day and have a question about the current Xirus work flow.

Is it always going to be select command, then object for editing ie face, point or edge?

Do you always have to select edges by a start and end point? In the case of selecting an edge that is two more steps than t-splines.

My main concern is that all these added steps will slow down my workflow considerably. At the moment I have macros set up to toggle between face, edge or point selection in tpslines.

That does however toggle every tspline object. Is the select individual objects for editing in order to minimize system resource usage?

(Pablo Garcia Amorena) #2

Hello,

Certainly not. In the following updates we are focusing on the UX/UI part to improve the interactive workflow.

We’ll provide at some moment the selection of edges with a single click (like when you select isocurves).

The more info you provide with respect to your workflow, the better we can suit your needs. In this case, would you need for edges and faces a similar behavior to XirusSurfacePoints (i.e. grip-like editing)?

Absolutely not. This happens because edge/face selection is not done with grips yet, but that’ll arrive in a future update.

Thanks for your feedback,
Pablo

(sochin) #3

The more info you provide with respect to your workflow, the better we can suit your needs. In this case, would you need for edges and faces a similar behavior to XirusSurfacePoints (i.e. grip-like editing)?

Not sure what you mean by grip editing. Can you please explain? Does that mean directly clicking on the object/point/face/edge and dragging rather than using the gumball?

For me I am constantly toggling between object, edge, face and point editing and most manipulation is done with the gumball, but I also find t-splines works very well with some Rhino commands as well …like rotate and cage edit.

I think that most of your target audience are t-splines users and you will get more adopters and input if they can come to Xirus and see how to do common tasks in it. Ideally if you went through the tsplines menu and pointed out the equivalent command or method in Xirus early adoption would be easier and you would get more feedback.

Then after that we can learn what there is different in Xirus and apply it to our workflow. Here are some of the most basic tasks that I do in t-splines that are not obvious for me how to do in Xirus.

extrude a face or edge
extrude a curve to form a sub-d object
insert an edge row
merge edges and weld points

I am guessing it is too early for symmetry but the t-spline linear and radial symmetry are a must for me. TIA.

(sochin) #4

I guess this is a good example of the terminology difference between tsplines and Xirus. Parameter line select (title of the video) looks like in that video an edge loop selection to me in t-splines.

(Pablo Garcia Amorena) #5

Exactly, grips are the Rhino native point selection tools. They support history (Undo and Redo) and multiple object selection, and are compatible with the gumball.
In the last Xirus WIP you see that in the Augmented Access point commands. Edge and face selection will support this behavior soon.

Thank you for your opinion. At the current stage of the WIP this video gives an overview of what you can do right now.

Next stage of updates will focus on object modification (extrusion, splitting, point insertion/deletion etc.) and of course the user interface. The update of next week will include face extrusion.

Pablo

(sochin) #6

Thanks Pablo. I realised I had already watched that video when I watched it again. It appears that a lot of your augmented access curve commands are a refinement of the tsWeight command.

Not much I can do with the application as it is now so will check back in later. Thank you for answering my questions.

cheers,
sochin

(Pablo Garcia Amorena) #7

Hi Sochin,

The last Xirus WIP update released yesterday solves this issue, so that selection becomes straightforward. Check the new features here.

The UX experience will get smoother as we go on with next features, like an edit mode. This will be available for the next update, currently in testing mode (together with face/edge loop/point instant highlighting when hovering):

Pablo